About Congo, DRC. An outsider's view from inside.

Friday, September 25, 2009

Package and letter from Bukavu!

Andrea took 1,000 cards and posters back to the U.S. to sell, and I kept a few dozen. I re-sold most of mine to friends in France during our wonderful week in Marseille. Our friends the Canadian Ambassador and her spouse had bought 100 cards, which they sold at a benefit concert in Toronto during their vacation! Words of thanks are inadequate for these efforts, and those of others, but knowing the results of these efforts is even better: I received a package from Marie-Jeanne yesterday, containing 840 cards, 50 posters and a letter, which I'll share with my readers:
For those who don't speak French or if it's too small to read, here's what she says:
Dear Odile,
Peace and joy.
We had a good trip home and we are all well. The Nikinge women thank with all their heart those who bought cards during our trip to Kinshasa. Thanks to the income, almost all their children have gone back to school. A sum of $500 was given to the women to use as credit. They are running small market stands. We sewed the school uniforms for the children. Zawadi and Justine are going to the same school. Zawadi is smiling again. She looks very pretty in the clothes Andrea gave us. I am so happy to see her blooming now. God bless you. Our sincere wishes to you and your husband.
Yours,
Marie-Jeanne
The package was delivered to me by Jeannot, Marie-Jeanne's sister. She gave me much the same news, and I learned that "Zawadi" means "gift". What a gift of courage she shows the world!

No comments: